When I travel, whether I have a chance to go to a yoga class or not, I make time to stretch to keep my body mobile. I also stretch frequently as my job requires a fair amount of sitting in front of the computer. While on a short trip I took the time to video some of my favorite stretching/yoga poses. I made two videos: on in my hotel room (with me giving instructions) and one outside (without me talking). I made two videos as the lighting in the hotel room didn’t make for clear visibility.
Before starting the stretches, I recommend taking the time for at least three deep breaths, where you engage your core while relaxing the body.
Here are the stretches I do (any stretches your body feels like doing will work):
Supported Down Dog:
- 1) Use the edge of a bed or chair;
- 2) As you take a deep breath, raise your arms above your head and bend over until your torso is
- at or near a 90 degree angle;
- 3) Actively rest your hands (forearms are okay too) on the bend;
- 4) Keep the core activated;
- 5) Keep the arms flexed;
- 6) Stay in the pose at least 15 seconds or longer
- A chair or couch works best for this pose;
- Stand facing the chair;
- Lift one leg up at a ninety-degree angle;
- Lean forward until you feel a stretch in the hips;
- Keep the foot flexed for maximum hip stretch;
- Stay in the pose at least 15 seconds or longer
Supported Standing Forehead to Knee:
- A couch or chair or retaining wall work for this pose;
- Lift one leg up onto the couch/chair/wall;
- Keep the foot flexed as you lean forward until you feel a gentle stretch;
- Stay in the pose for at least 15 seconds or longer
I find that when I do these poses I feel more flexible when I travel or when I spend hours in front of the computer. On days where I’m working I do my best to remember to do some stretches at least once an hour.
In addition to lighting, I did the outdoor video to demonstrate that yoga/stretching can be done anywhere. Always listen to your body when doing these stretches. Just go for a gentle stretch. It’s a good idea not to go too deep when the body hasn’t fully been warmed up. Always Always Always listen to the body!
I hope you’ve enjoyed this yoga stretching interlude. I continue to show you this body doing yoga because I’m proof that EVERY BODY can DO YOGA. NO EXCUSES!!! ANY TIME!!! ANYWHERE!!!! IF YOU WANT IT, GO FOR IT!!!!
Here’s the link to the indoor video (with me talking):
Here’s the link to the outdoor video (without me talking but with music):
Follow me on Facebook: